Monday, December 2, 2013

Why I want to Homeschool

Homeschooling has been on my mind for a long time now. Right after my daughter turned 1, I started thinking about her future in education. At the time, we had started our own little "school" sessions at home and we had a good thing going. I loved watching her learn, soak it all up, and apply what we learned to everyday life. Through communication, socialization, and everyday fun, we had endless opportunities to educate.  I loved that I was the one impacting her learning and that we were always finding new ways and experiences to do so. Our little school routine at home has never been formal. We've always kind of had the go with the flow mentality and just took things a day at a time. Once mastering a skill, we'd move on to the next and see where her interest was at. We would add to the lessons learned, and always go over them throughout the day--- during breakfast, during our walks, bath time, and any other chance we could get.

Now, two years later, and we are blossoming. We are continuously reminded that what we are doing is right, and with each passing month, I think more and more about what the future holds.

There are a lot of reasons why I would love to homeschool. At this time, I do not know anything for certain, and it truly could go either way. The real reason and hesitation in regards to homeschooling has been in my husband, and he has been my greatest challenge. Like I have mentioned before, I don't want to do something without him being on board... and although that may require a lot {and I mean a lot} of late night talks over the matter, I hope that eventually we will be on the same boat in our decision for our childrens' education. Whatever that may be.

Why do I want to homeschool?

1. One-on-one learning. I want to be able to focus on my childrens' strengths, their passions, and their ability to learn. Each child is different in the way that they understand things, and I want to be able to focus in on this for them. I also want to be able to seek out their weaknesses and make them stronger. Allow them to learn and grow, and do so in a non-intimidating environment.

2. Parental Education Choices. With homeschooling, we will not only be to teach them about all the subjects that are important for them to learn---history, math, science, and so forth, but we will also be able to focus on faith, morals, respect, and things that will help to shape them into good members of society. I want to be the one that passes on knowledge to my children, that learns with them, that teaches them in ways that they will understand, and more importantly, apply it to the every day world. Wording it in a way that will make sense to them. In a way where we can talk about it in conversation. Less forced facts and more... learning.

3. Flexibility. Although there would be structure {must have structure}, there will also be flexibility. There will not be that added pressure, and we, as a family, will not rely on a school schedule to control every decision that we make. Which means that we may take a family vacation in the middle of the school year. And guess what? We could make it into a "field trip" and allow our children to learn more hands on versus sitting at a desk all day surrounded by 30 other kids. Some days can be spent doing worksheets, projects, and various assignments. Other days can be spent at the zoo, the museum, and outdoors. Structure is important, but I believe flexibility is as well. How many times did we as kids find ourselves dreading going to school? Falling asleep at the desk? Zoned out completely because we were just not into it. Flexibility and adjustments are good.

4. Less distractions. This goes back to the one-on-one learning, but there is no denying that in a classroom full of children {from all walks of life} there will be distractions. Some good, and some not so good. I recently spoke to a fellow homeschooling mom that decided to put her 9 & 10 year old for the first time in school for one year to try it out. Their number one complaint? Distractions. The kids were already way ahead of the other class, and the behavior of the other children did not allow them to learn properly, and as a result, they were also punished as a whole class. Distractions can also teach bad habits, and bad behaviors. The mom that I spoke with instantly noticed how different her children were acting once put into the school system. Needless to say, the kids were asking to go back a month into school. There is no denying that outside influences have a big impact on our children, and for me, I want to be the biggest impact on our children. Not the teachers, not other kids, not what society expects out of children.

5. Great results academically. Research has shown that home-schooled kids are very bright, test very high on scores, and are overall very well-rounded individuals. At the end of the day, this is what is most important to my children---education. Isn't that why we send our children to school? To teach them and to give them the tools to survive in this world. Yes? So to me, I want to give them the best possible opportunity to do so. If this requires more work on my part, more time on this end, and probably a lot more added stress and pressure for me? Then so be it. That's why I became a mom. My number one goal in motherhood is to raise my children---and to raise them right. That includes their education. 

With all this being said, there are so many wonderful things about attending a typical school system. So many that it makes my decision even more difficult and I know that it will not be an easy one to make. Andrew and I both attended public schools and have no reason to dislike the system. This is truly just a personal family decision, and one that we don't take lightly. I imagine that when the time comes, we will follow our hearts and take the direction that our children desire to take. They will most definitely be involved with our decision 100%, as this has everything to do with them and their future.

But I would be ever so honored and grateful if I am blessed with opportunity to do so.
To homeschool and teach my children.

10 comments:

  1. Definitely do it! I am 100% planning on homeschooling my kids, and I was home schooled myself. Just make sure to sign up for dance classes or home schooled field trips/ sports teams etc. I was an only child and lived in the country so the little to no social interaction definitely hurt me in the long run (I am socially awkward and painfully shy haha). Otherwise, though it was fantastic! I passed my GED at 15 and was able to do SO much more/ see more of the world this way.

    weebabyschmitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a 180 and decided that we should homeschool our kids sometime last year. My daughter is only 2 now, but I am SO excited about it, for all the same reasons as you. I want to be able to control what she's learning, to participate in her learning and watch her grow, and to take awesome field trips whenever we want. Homeschooling is going to be hard, but awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a public school teacher, and although not every school system is like the one I taught at, my experience is enough to motivate me to teach my kids at home. Most of my students came to school to socialize and very little learning happened. The factors were many and diverse as to the culture of learning in my old school system, but I highly encourage you (and your husband) to consider home schooling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen siesta. Great and fab reasons! We have the boys in our church preschool and are going to send V to Catholic kindergarten then we may pull them home. We have had no issues yet but they are still so young but my friend with 4 kids is homeschooling and sends them through 1st grade to learn the reading basics then she starts homeschooling. I like her approach so I may follow suit. V&L have learned a ton of small things like sitting still during reading and small group directions that I don't have the patience for haha. I still think homeschooling is the best option. We can meet you guys for field trips :) the flexibility of it is so fab. We already feel restricted with the boys in preschool only a few hours a week. You will rock it out either way! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen siesta. Great and fab reasons! We have the boys in our church preschool and are going to send V to Catholic kindergarten then we may pull them home. We have had no issues yet but they are still so young but my friend with 4 kids is homeschooling and sends them through 1st grade to learn the reading basics then she starts homeschooling. I like her approach so I may follow suit. V&L have learned a ton of small things like sitting still during reading and small group directions that I don't have the patience for haha. I still think homeschooling is the best option. We can meet you guys for field trips :) the flexibility of it is so fab. We already feel restricted with the boys in preschool only a few hours a week. You will rock it out either way! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be thinking of you as you make this decision, I'm sure its not an easy one!!! You'd be a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homeschoolers unite! My husband and I were both homeschooled and we joke that we'll happily be carrying on the legacy of super pajama wearing and social inability(both absolute jokes because of stereotypes) onto our daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a really difficult decision to make! It is something that is always on my mind. My husband is 100% for it, but I'm the one who will be doing all the work, so it's something I really need to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything about this post! Daven is 3 and does attend preschool. He does well. I want to homeschool him when it is that time. My biggest concerns are Lilli will be 3 when he goes to kindergarten (I think it could be crazy while he is working) and I'm hung up on that he would not have "social skills". I know that is so weird of me. I would get him involved with the community in sports, our church, boy scouts, and a ton more. I think we have homeschooling groups here and he would be around those children as well. I just want him to be involved and not just a little shy snail in a CRAZY world when he gets to be a teenager and beyond. Am I crazy? Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't have kids yet but totally plan on homeschooling (or as I like to call unschooling) our children. There will be a lot of people in our life who will be nay sayers but we both firmly believe that is best for our children. Thanks for this post because it really helped me to feel less alone and solidify our decision for when we do have kiddos!

    Cheers,
    Alyson

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye