Thursday, October 10, 2013

How to Make Baby Food 101

**Found this post sitting in draft from MONTHS ago. We are past the "baby baby" food, however, I still make pouches to squeeze in essential nutrients from all those veggies that my children just don't care to eat. I don't blame them.
Okay, I'm not some kind of pro or expert here. Nor am I going to act like one. I will say this though, I have tried different things and found what I like and don't like. You may not like the route I chose or products that I do, but you may find something that may help your experience as well. If nothing else, this will be for myself in the future when I have.... you know, one, two, or five more babies. Okay okay, just one.

1. Baby Chef Ultimate Baby Food Maker vs. Cuisinart Mini-Prep Plus Food Processor

I have had both. With Elliana, I strictly used my Cuisinart mini food processor and for the most part, it did the job. I had issues with stuff not completely pureeing the way I would like it, but by adding a little water or my milk to it, it would normally do the job. However, I never quite knew what I was missing out on until we purchased the baby chef baby food maker. It was on sale at zulily one day, and with enough credits in my account, I was able to snag a great deal on it months before Graham was even born. Knowing that I would be doing the whole making my own baby food thing, I thought to myself, why not.

What I love about the baby food maker? It does more than just puree! 1} Steams. There is a steaming component on one side so that I can actually use that instead of our steamer to get the fruits and vegetables prepared. 2} Warms. The same side that steams can act like a warming station. 3} Chops, obviously.

2. Baby Book {Top 100 Baby Purees} vs. Website

The first time around, I had purchased the Top 100 Baby Purees book. Great book. Awesome book. And if you need a starting point, I would recommend that one. However, the second time around, I mainly use my favorite website {wholesomebabyfood}. I still whip out the book from time to time, but since we are living in such a technology driven world, it is so easier for me to find the answers that I am looking for just through a click of a button.

3.  Baby Food and Breast Milk Trays vs. Station & Pouches Infantino Squeeze Station

I used ice cube trays the first time around and thought that I would be doing the same for Graham. However, after I stumbled by accident onto the site of this baby pouch maker invention... I was instantly hooked. Hooked when a commenter had stated that they no longer had to worry about the "freezer burns" like they did with the ice cube trays. Memories flashed through my head. Yes. Freezer burn. I remember that quite well.

The Infantino Squeeze Station sold me on the price {only $20} . It then won me over some more when it arrived on my doorstep and I realized how easy it was to actually use. Make your food. Puree it. Squeeze it into the pouches. Grab them on the go!

You can get one time use pouches { Infantino 50 Count Squeeze Pouches } or the reusable ones!
Reusable Food Pouch (Pack of 4)
---

As far as freezing and storing? I found that, for us, we preferred to just make the pouches fresh every day and keep them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days if not used. The whole baby food making process only lasts a couple months, and in no time, those babies are eating off the same plates of food that you are. As is ours already. We have done a mixture of BLW and pureeing since we introduced baby food, and are so pleased with going this route.

Also, if you have a toddler, like I do, you will find that they want those pouches as much as the baby does, and thus is a great way to sneak in some yummy good stuff for them in their bellies. Hidden motives over here.

Overall? Don't be intimidated by all this. It is so easy and really rewarding at the same time.

9 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I also make food at home for my 9 month old. I was pretty anxious about the whole thing (it seems like such an ordeal beforehand) but it's really gone well.

    Each day we go grocery shopping we buy whatever we are low on (veggies, fruits, etc) and then either that night or the next day I spend steaming and pureeing. We use the old fashioned steamer and food processor but the Baby food maker sounds great! I've heard the ice cube tray thing but I was somewhat iffy on that idea. We ended up buying these cute tiny round containers from Walmart (They are like $2 for 6) and just fill them to the top, stick one in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. There are about 3 servings in each so it works out well!

    I've wondered if the ouches would be better for space (we have a small freezer to begin with). I'll have to check that out - thanks for the tips! :)

    weebabyschmitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this! I'm obviously a ways off from making baby food, seeing as how the baby isn't even born yet, but it is something that I am definitely interested in. It's great to hear some honest advice from someone who had been through it a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting! I'm planning on making baby food in the next month or two and found this very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely getting me one of those pouch makers! My 3 year old still loves "squeezies" and my 14 week old is going to love them soon, too. I got a Baby Bullet as a gift and I think a combination of that and the Infantino Squeeze Station are going to make things easier (and cheaper - those pouches are expensive in stores!!) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely saving this for future reference. Did you ever consider baby led weaning? I'm torn between making my own food vs. BLW.. I know I have plenty of time to do research, but just wondering if you had every considered it and if so, what made you choose the regular baby food route?

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for posting this! I recently bought the infantino station when Babies r us was having their "feeding" sale remembering you mentioning it before.. Now thanks for showing me the reusable pouches! Can't wait to start using it (I have a couple months) but now i'll be prepared! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really, i loved to read this whole post very much. What were the tips and guidelines in how to make Baby food? I think I knew the all answers here in this article. read more

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye